Friday, April 5, 2013

Paleo Snack Bars

This last month I have been trying to eat mostly "Paleo". Without going into the exact definition and basis of Paleo eating (I'll save that for another post....maybe!) - basically it excludes all grains, sugar, legumes and dairy. I added limited dairy back in after a couple of weeks and didn't feel different/worse so I decided I'm okay with including a little plain yogurt and raw cheese (which if we want to get really technical means I'm eating "Primal" now. I think. Please correct me if I'm utterly confused. I usually am!)  The few times I.....ahem...."added" sugar in, I did NOT feel good. In fact, I felt positively sick. After detoxing from sugar, I can really feel the havoc it wreaks on my body.

As one could easily figure out in about 2 seconds, this way of eating pretty much eliminates all packaged, pre-made food (which I try not to eat anyway). So snacks have been really basic. Like a date filled with almond butter. Or celery and almond butter. Or apples and almond butter. Or just almond butter. Okay - not as bad as that - but in the beginning when I was getting my bearings and learning what's off limits and what isn't off limits (and whether or not I had any of the allowable foods in my house) I gave myself some grace in the imagination and diversity department.

I'm now branching out into actually making some Paleo recipes and this one is really good! Like so good, I polished off the whole pan in two days of my last batch. Yup! And I still lost weight. Go figure...... Great for a quick breakfast and an easy snack.

Adapted from the recipe for Paleo Breakfast Bars by Elana's Pantry. Her recipes rock!


Paleo Snack Bars










1 Cup Blanched Almond Flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 Cup coconut oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBS honey
1/2 Cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 Cup walnuts
1/2 Cup pistachios
1/4 cup chopped dates.

1. Pulse almond flour, salt, coconut oil, egg, vanilla and honey together in a food processor.
2. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until fully combined. While pulsing, scrape down sides and break up the ingredients if they form a ball that doesn't want to mix.
3. Spread into an 8"x8" pan, pressing down with a spatula or your fingers.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, until top and edges are slightly browned.

*Note: I'm sure you could substitute your favorite nuts for the walnuts and pistachios!  Also, this just slightly sweet ~ if you want it sweeter, add a little more honey or dates and let me know if it works!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good but minus the dates....maybe a little more honey :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use raisins or even cranberries if you want! :)

    ReplyDelete